Friday, June 17, 2011

When the wind blows

I named my blog 'When the wind blows' because Willow loves Rock-a-bye Baby. At the time I first started the blog, she was asking me to sing it every night. Sometimes twice. And then she just stopped. The first few nights I'd ask "Do you want me to sing Rock-a-bye Baby?". She'd say, "No mom, Daddy now". And that was that. Willow is such a girl of routine it surprises me every time she changes something. It happens more and more now that she's 2, asserting her independence and finding out who she is.

Every day I think about how quickly these little beings change. Toby's physical changes are more obvious right now; going from sitting to on all fours, rocking back and forth. Pulling himself up on toys and then falling down. He's going to be such a little boy, full of energy and into everything. Already, he sees something and lunges for it not caring if he's going to fall on his face in his attempt.

Willow is really unpredictable in her moods. For awhile she was in the "terrible two's" and having multiple tantrums daily. They slowed as I found ways of talking her through them, and distracting her. She's been very pleasant and talking up a storm until yesterday when she got a cold. She is really starting to play by herself (for at least a few minutes of the day...) and make believe play with her dolls. She was talking to me tonight and then all of a sudden said "uh oh, Iggy's crying", and went out on the deck where her doll Lily was. She picked her up and rocked her, "awwww, it's ok Iggy". In the last week Lily's name has changed to Iggy. Willow had no trouble saying Lily before. I tried to call her Iggy, and Willow got upset. "NO Mom, Iggy".

My goal this week is to take some video. As our camera collects dust, my babies are growing up!

2 comments:

  1. Please give me some tips how to deal with the tantrums, I'll try anything! She is driving me mental.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK Nat, this is what I did and it worked for us (so far, there is still 10 months of the "two's" to go!).

    1. When she would have a tantrum, I'd get down to her level and hold her tight. Sometimes she'd refuse a hug, and that was OK. I would say why she was having the tantrum so she knew I understood her. "You want to stay outside because you are having fun." And then I'd give her the reason we had to go inside- "we have to go inside because it's lunch time" and then the compromise "we will come back outside after your nap". I always follow through on this. I say this only once- but repeat the first part so she knows I am sympathetic.
    2. I found tantrums would start because she didn't want to do something I asked her to do, like get dressed. She'd say "I DON"T LIKE THAT ONE!" So I avert this tantrum by telling her she's getting dressed and giving her 2 choices of outfits. I never ask her to do anything anymore, I tell her- but she usually gets a choice of one thing or another.
    3. Distraction distraction distraction. I really paid attention to what started the tantrums so I could predict them. I'd always have something I could pull out quickly that would keep her busy. If she's upset because Toby is playing with her toys I get her to help with dinner before she escalates. While she's happy helping me cook I point out how much fun Toby is having with her toys and tell her she's such a nice sister for sharing.

    I tried ignoring the tantrums. I tried having her sit in her room until she felt better. It didn't work. What she really needed was me to understand how she felt so I just do the best to be sympathetic to her stuff. She's a really sensitive gal, so it makes sense why this worked. We still have the odd tantrum or two. But never the 4,5,6 per day that was. Thank goodness!

    Good luck with S!

    ReplyDelete