Friday, July 29, 2011

Mo-mo

Mo-mo is Willow's pacifier. I can't wait to be rid of it!

She became attached to it at 15 months when she weaned. I don't think she was ready to wean, and picked the paci from her toy box where up until then it had been for her dolls. Oooops. From that day on, mo-mo is not just a pacifier, but a lovey. Her favorite toy. Someone to talk to.

Willow in July 2010, with the original Mo-mo

She only used it to sleep until a few months back when I was too busy to take it away from her first thing in the morning. Amazingly, mo-mo lost his charm over the day. I thought I'd found a solution. So I let her have mo-mo all day long (except when we were out). Wow, did that ever backfire. She became more attached than ever and we've had a hard time getting back to using mo-mo only to sleep.

Today was the first non-mo-mo day. In the morning we made a little bed for mo-mo. We got mo-mo a blanket. We closed up mo-mo's bed box, and put him to sleep. A bit of whining, but I'd say a success. Willow was very excited to wake mo-mo up this evening before she went to bed.

Sometimes I don't even see Mo-mo anymore, and it ruins some nice shots.

So what's the next step? I have no idea. I'm going to stick to the no mo-mo during waking hours and hope that decreases her dependence. In the meantime, I'll have to think of a little game we can play to keep mo-mo busy at nap time and night time too.

Oh- and the name, Mo-mo? I don't know where it came from exactly. There was a sesame street doll at Willow's daycare (my sisters place) that had a pacifier. The doll would say "ma-ma" when the pacifier came out of it's mouth. I think Willow thought it was saying "more-more" and she started saying that when she wanted her pacifier. "More-more" sounded like "Mo-mo" at the time, so I just went with it.

2 comments:

  1. Smart thinking about Mo-mo sleeping during the day! Sam is a thumb sucker. She only does it in bed but I haven't the slightest clue how we're going to eventually break her of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter Hannah calls her soother a DeeDee. I have no idea why.

    ReplyDelete