Thursday, November 3, 2011

Working

Yesterday was my first day back at work. It was bittersweet - I got teary dropping the kids off in the morning (even though they are with my sister who has been watching them for weeks) but at the same time it was great to spend some time alone. I have an hour long commute that I used to hate- but now it's time for me to have my thoughts to myself, to listen to loud music, to get caught up with what's going on in the world. Once I get to work I can eat, sit, drink tea and pee at my leisure; it's almost luxurious. Sharing lunch and conversation with adults is pretty rad too.

I'll be working 2 days a week and I think it will be a good balance. Enough time at home to prepare home cooked meals, play with my kids, take them to events, keep a garden, and spend time outside. I'll also work on my photography business and try to keep the house clean. There are so many things I want to do that are important to me and I can't see myself being happy working 5 days a week and playing catch-up all weekend. I don't imagine my kids would like that arrangement very much either. A lot of people make it work, like it even- but it's just not for me. I've got too much to do!

Lets just hope the financials work out. We'll tighten our belts a bit more (is that even possible?). We're already very frugal so I'm going to have to get pretty creative I think! I'm open to money saving ideas if anyone has any!

One thing I'm thankful for is that I won't miss Toby's first steps, like I did Willow's. He was taking 8-10 steps at a time for almost a month and as of Saturday is finally walking around. Still a bit wobbly, but he's doing really well. I have yet to capture it on video, but here is an attempt. He obviously wasn't in the mood to show off.

- OK, no video. I've been trying to upload it for a couple of days but I keep getting an error. I'll work on the walking video and post it soon. -



1 comment:

  1. 2 days a week sounds like a really good "compromise" between both worlds. I'm not working but I sometimes think I'd be happier to have time away. The extra money wouldn't hurt either. I miss money!!

    ReplyDelete